|Air Date||January 29, 1992|
|← The Pez Dispenser · The Fix-Up →|
Meanwhile, George Costanza and Elaine Benes visit a pregnant psychic who tells George to cancel his trip to the Cayman Islands. When Elaine scolds the psychic, Rula, for smoking while pregnant, she kicks them out and George never finds out why she wanted him to cancel his trip. Playing it safe, he sells his tickets to Kramer.
When Jerry sees his neighbor, Newman, who is also his nemesis and Martin's friend, he worries that Newman has seen him with Gina. He offers to give Newman a cake he has in exchange for his secrecy, but much to his dismay, Elaine has eaten the entire cake due to her lack of willpower during her three-day fast for her ulcer test. Newman tells Martin about the affair as soon as he wakes up, and Jerry is choked.
Kramer returns from the Cayman Islands only to reveal that he had an amazing trip, and the one downside was that he was mildly stung by a jellyfish, presumably the bad thing that the psychic predicted.
Notes About Nothing Edit
- This episode sees the first appearance of Newman played by Wayne Knight, although the character also featured off-screen in "The Revenge" with Larry David providing the voice.
- This is also the first "Hello, Newman."
- Kramer and Jerry discuss Dr. Jack Kevorkian, a controversial American pathologist. Between 1990 and 1998 Kevorkian assisted in the suicide of over 100 terminally ill people by attaching them to a device he created - the 'Suicide Machine' referenced in the script. You can learn more about Dr. Kevorkian on Wikipedia.
- Drake's Coffee Cake is a confection with cinnamon streusel topping distributed primarily in the Northeastern United States. Drake's Cakes website.
- "Who goes on vacation without a job? What do you need, a break from getting up at eleven?" - Jerry
- "I don't go for these non-refundable deals. I can't commit to a woman. I'm not committing to an airline." - Jerry
- "I can't believe [Martin is] in a coma. He's got my vacuum cleaner! You know I loaned it to him. He never returned it. The carpets are filthy!" - Kramer
- "The carpet sweeper is the biggest scam perpetrated on the American public since One Hour Martinizing." - Kramer
- "How do they know the dog food's any good? Who tastes it?" - Elaine
- "I never assisted in a birth before. It's really quite disgusting." - George