|Air Date||January 23, 1991|
|Writer(s)|| Larry David|
|← The Stock Tip · The Pony Remark →|
"The Ex-Girlfriend" is episode 1 of Season 2, and it first aired January 23, 1991.
George decides he wants to break up with his girlfriend Marlene, whose tendency to drag out conversations and phone messages irritates him to no end. After an emotional split, he realizes he had left some books in her apartment. Jerry tries to convince George that he does not need the books, as he had already read them, but George is nevertheless able to persuade Jerry to get them for him. To retrieve the books, Jerry decides to go on a date with Marlene, during which she tells him that she and George can still be friends, despite her recent break-up. Jerry and Marlene start dating; but, after a while, Jerry finds her just as annoying as George did. He wants to break up with her, but is unable to because she has a "psycho-sexual" hold on him.
Jerry is unable to decide whether or not to tell George he is dating Marlene, but Jerry's ex-girlfriend Elaine Benes eventually convinces him that he should. After being informed, George informs Jerry he has no problem with him dating Marlene. The following night, Jerry asks Marlene to come to his apartment, but she tells him that it might be better not to date him anymore. Jerry asks her why, to which she replies that she did not think his stand-up comedy act was funny, and that she could not date someone if she did not respect what they did.
Notes About Nothing
- This episode was originally scheduled to be aired a week earlier. Normal programming was interrupted by the start of The Gulf War.
- At the start of this episode George tells Jerry he had no choice but to tell his girlfriend he loves her, but much later in "The Face Painter" (season 6) he claims he's only ever said that to a dog.
- Jerry mentions the 1958 Steve McQueen film The Blob.
- After George receives a bill from his chiropractor, he says, "Seventy-five bucks? What, am I seeing Sinatra in there?" Coincidentally, Frank Sinatra died the same day the last episode of Seinfeld aired on NBC.
- For this episode's quotes, see The Ex-Girlfriend Quotes.
|Season Two Episodes|
| The Ex-Girlfriend | The Pony Remark | The Jacket | The Phone Message | The Apartment | The Statue | The Revenge | The Heart Attack | The Deal | The Baby Shower | The Chinese Restaurant | The Busboy|