|First Appearance||"The Understudy"|
|Last Appearance||"The Finale"|
|Occupation||President of the J. Peterman Company|
|Portrayed By||John O'Hurley|
Jacopo Peterman (normally referred to as J. Peterman or simply Peterman) is a secondary character on the television show Seinfeld.
Peterman is the eccentric but fun owner of the J. Peterman Catalog sales company and is also Elaine Benes' boss during her employment there. She meets him in "The Understudy", the last episode of season six. He is played by John O'Hurley.
Despite being an owner of well known a catalog; J. Peterman seems to have very awkward social skills and personality, such as the time he moved to Burma to settle his problems. He seems to have very few friends outside of his business.
In a deleted scene in The Finale, he meets David Puddy. "You must be the boyfriend, the man behind the emerald curtain." "Yeah, that's right."
- "The Understudy" Peterman meets Elaine
- "The Secret Code" Peterman meets Jerry and George
- "The Caddy"
- "The Shower Head"
- "The Friar's Club"
- "The Bottle Deposit" (Parts 1 and 2)
- "The Foundation"
- "The Chicken Roaster"
- "The Money"
- "The Comeback"
- "The Van Buren Boys" Peterman meets, and buys life stories from, Kramer
- "The Susie"
- "The English Patient"
- "The Muffin Tops"
- "The Summer of George"
- "The Merv Griffin Show"
- "The Apology"
- "The Cartoon"
- "The Bookstore"
- "The Frogger"
- "The Finale" (part 2 only) (Speaks only in a deleted scene)
- John Peterman and his catalog, called J. Peterman, are real. Although the company is based in Lexington, Kentucky, not New York City, the character in the show resembles the way John Peterman talks and the actual catalog is spiced with tangential prose in the descriptions of the products—hard-to-find clothing and accessories (just as portrayed on the show).